[ ]

(Fill in the Blank.)

Friday, August 05, 2005

The Philippines: Part 3

Days 4-6: Manila

I have to say up-front that Manila, although interesting, was the least impressive part of the trip. The city has the worst traffic I have seen anywhere in the world, with the possible exception of Bombay. Public transportation consists of a commuter train with a limited route, taxis, tricycles or motorcycles with attached covered seats, buses, and jeepneys. This is a jeepney:



There are no "natural wonders" to be found anywhere near the metropolis, and the most outstanding feature of the city is its plethora of malls. Malls are everywhere. This is me sitting inside a mall, taking a picture of two other malls right across the street:



They are always crowded, even the middle of a weekday. Come on people, don't you have to work??



Actually, my brother has a theory about why so many people hang out at the mall so much, even though most of the population can't afford to buy the things in the stores: free air conditioning.

I did come across some decidedly odd/humourous sights inside the malls...



There were some cultural sights, to be fair. We took a horse carriage ride around downtown Manila, including Chinatown, and saw some buildings dating from the 16th century!




Downtown also had Rizal Park, named after a martyr who was involved in the independence movement against the Spanish.




And of course, the largest fort in the Philippines, Fort Santiago, in downtown Manila:



The End.

I seem to have a demanding readership (*cough* Anjum, Jeanne *cough*) that wants more in-depth analysis on what it's like to actually be in the Philippines, and what my feelings are on the country, people, food, etc. I will dedicate the next post to covering such topics.

In the meanwhile, hope you enjoyed all the pictures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home