A Man, A Plan...
First post in a while. I was originally going to write up something at least once a week, as my previous project had me traveling to a new place every week. However, that project has sort of fallen through, and I am now traveling weekly only to one place. And unfortunately, Clayton, NC doesn't offer too much in the way of sights. But maybe I'll write more about that later.
For now, my focus will be Panama (the country), from whence I recently returned following a short family trip. You may peruse the pictures here.
I was there no longer than 3 days and did not stray far from the capital of Panama City, but here are some highlights:
For now, my focus will be Panama (the country), from whence I recently returned following a short family trip. You may peruse the pictures here.
I was there no longer than 3 days and did not stray far from the capital of Panama City, but here are some highlights:
- I did not know it, but Panama uses the US dollar for currency. Supposedly, this has made the country a hot destination for investment by multinational firms. This is evident all over Panama City, where development is in overdrive.
- Panama is trying to position itself as a destination for American retirees, which is why my parents and their friends actually made this trip. They were looking at some retirement properties in development. The benefit for Americans is lower taxes, cheaper healthcare, and increasing property value due to all the development. My parents were especially keen on the fact that live-in housemaids and helpers can be hired relatively cheaply (~$180/month). Of course, then there's the language barrier and the fact that you are a pretty long plane ride from the States.
- There is a huge gap between the haves and have-nots in Panama, which I believe is being exacerbated by the increase in foreign investment. Downtown Panama City is filled with modern high-rise luxury apartments and fancy office buildings, but the older areas of town are run-down and decrepit, with no apparent in-between. My mom's cousin, who lives downtown with his family, would be middle-class in the US, but in Panama, he can have a 3-bedroom condo on the 28th floor with 360 degree views of the city and Pacific Ocean. Meanwhile, most of the locals live very humbly on the other side of the city.
- The Panama Canal, although cool, is not as impressive as I expected. I've know about the canal since I was in fourth grade, but I never imagined it would barely be wide enough to let through the really big ships one at a time. It takes between 8 and 12 hours for a ship to pass through.
- Panama City has some amazing restaurants. We tried Thai, Lebanese, and regular continental fare, and it was all very good.
- Panama shuts down during Catholic holidays. We were unfortunately there during Good Friday and Easter Sunday, which basically only left us with one night where things were open. This was my first time being in a Catholic country during a Catholic holiday, and it was just odd to see the whole place so quiet on those days.
- There are lots of Chinese (and some Koreans) in Panama City, and they even have their own little Chinatown, but never saw a single one on the streets. Oddly, however, they were packed into the casino I went to downtown at 1am.
- My mom's cousin is married to an Indian girl who was born and brought up in Panama. She and her siblings speak English with a Spanish accent. And it is sexy as hell.
- One of the "it" places to hang out for the young crowd in downtown Panama City is... T.G.I. Fridays. Crazy.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home